EzSchoolPay FAQs

As the school year comes to a close, questions are being asked about your child’s school lunch account:

  • Account Funds: Any funds that have not been used on your child’s meal account automatically carry to the new school year, even if they change schools within the district.
  • Balance Transfers:  If all or a portion of the remaining funds on your child’s account need to be transferred to another child (i.e. older sibling graduated and you would like to move the remaining funds to another sibling’s account), please contact the school district’s Food Service Office (501-847-5632) for processing.
  • Enrollment Information: Once the 2015-16school year has ended, your child may show the school and/or grade level they were in for a period of time over the summer months.  Once the school district has performed the rollover to the new school year, this information will update automatically on www.EZSchoolPay.com.
  • RecurringPaymentsDon’t forget to adjust your recurring payments for Summer Break!

Should you have any questions or need additional assistance, please contactEZSchoolPay at support@nullezschoolpay.comor the Food Service Office at 501-847-5632.